Image Credit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_start
Progressive data shows summer claims trends with single-vehicle accidents most common
MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio — June 25, 2015 — The summer travel season is peak time for passionate motorcycle riders and after a brutal winter, they’re anxious to make the most of every mile. If fact, more motorcycle riders are hitting the road than ever before with new motorcycle sales up more than eight percent through the first quarter, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council. In light of that growth, Progressive® Insurance set out to see what useful information could be found by analyzing its own motorcycle claims data from the last year.
Progressive’s 2014 motorcycle claims data revealed that:
- Four of the top 10 days with the highest claims for Progressive motorcycle customers fall in June.
- Summer months—June, July and August—are when most motorcycle accidents happen, and Saturdays are the most dangerous days to ride. In fact, the top five days of the year with the most motorcycle claims are all Saturdays throughout the summer.
- July is one of the most dangerous months for motorcycle riders, with the average number of claims being 79 percent higher in that month than the average for the rest of the year.
- In 2014, there were more single-vehicle motorcycle claims than any other type. Progressive data shows there were more single-vehicle claims than the next three types put together which include rear-end accidents, intersection accidents and stolen motorcycles.
“Riders and drivers should always be alert when driving, and summer holidays require even more vigilance,” said Scott Hall, Progressive’s motorcycle product manager. “While many motorcycle accidents can involve other vehicles, most are single-vehicle incidents, which is something motorcycle riders should be aware of. This winter was absolutely brutal on roadways across the country, so looking ahead for potholes and leaving plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you will help avoid accidents.”
To keep both riders and bikes protected, Progressive suggests the following essential coverages and offers flexible limits based on your budget:
- Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability: Covers you if you’re at fault for an accident that injures another person or damages someone’s property.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Pays to repair or replace your motorcycle if it’s stolen or damaged.
- Collision Coverage: Pays to repair your motorcycle when you collide with another vehicle or object.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: Provides coverage when the person at fault for an accident doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance.
- Roadside Assistance: If your motorcycle breaks down, Progressive’s Roadside Assistance will pay to tow it to the nearest qualified repair facility. Roadside Assistance also covers the necessary labor costs at the place of breakdown when your motorcycle or off-road vehicle is disabled.
For more information and an infographic detailing these and other insights, visit:http://at.progressive.com/everything-insurance/ride-smart-ride-safe. To learn more about motorcycle insurance, visit https://www.progressive.com/motorcycle/ or talk to your local Progressive agent.
The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies makes it easy to understand, buy and use auto insurance. Progressive offers choices so consumers can reach it whenever, wherever and however it’s most convenient—online at progressive.com, by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE, on a mobile device or in-person with a local agent.
Progressive provides insurance for personal and commercial autos and trucks, motorcycles, boats, recreational vehicles, and homes. Home insurance is underwritten by select carriers, including its majority-owned subsidiary, American Strategic Insurance (ASI).
Progressive is the fourth largest auto insurer in the country; a leading seller of motorcycle and commercial auto insurance; and through ASI, one of the top 20 homeowners carriers. Progressive also offers car insurance online in Australia at http://www.progressiveonline.com.au.
The Common Shares of The Progressive Corporation, the Mayfield Village, Ohio-based holding company, trade publicly at NYSE:PGR.